Bensalem EMS was established in 1980 as a non-profit volunteer ambulance company to serve our growing suburban community. Bensalem Township consists of just over 22 square miles with a population of more than 60,000 residents. Our primary coverage area consists of the entire township which borders the City of Philadelphia, several other Bucks County townships, and the Delaware River. Because of its geographical location, Bensalem has become a hub of activity for Bucks County.
Our township offers a diverse mix of residential, industrial, and commercial properties including Pennsylvania’s second licensed Casino. Both Amtrak and USX have rail lines that transverse our jurisdiction as well as SEPTA. Many main routes of travel pass through Bensalem including Interstate 95, the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-276) and US 1. Our community is in the flight path for several civilian and military airports and is known as the “Gateway to Bucks County”.
The above circumstances have helped Bensalem EMS grow into an interesting and exciting organization. We have grown to meet the needs of our expanding community, and have become one of the premier EMS organizations in our region. Bensalem has two Advanced Life Support Units staffed by Paramedics 24 hours a day and a third Advanced Life Support Unit during peak hours. Our staff consists of a combination of volunteer and career personnel all trained at the EMT or Paramedic level. Bensalem EMS responds to more than 7,000 emergency calls a year.
Our service only responds to 9-1-1 emergencies and we do not perform routine transport services. Our units will transport patients to Aria Torresdale Hospital, Lower Bucks Hospital, St. Mary Medical Center, and Aria Bucks Hospital.
Bensalem EMS is funded partially from fee for service income. This makes up about 80% of our budget. The other 20% of our operations is supported by Township Real Estate Taxes and private donations.
We are heavily involved in our community by working closely with our local and State government officials to constantly improve our service. Bensalem EMS also works closely with local fire, police, hazmat and other public service agencies to assure our community members get the best possible service no matter what the emergency. In addition to our local response area, Bensalem Emergency Medical Services participates in the PA Department of Health STRIKE Team program. STRIKE teams are specialized units that are ready to respond to a major disaster both in-State and out of State within 4 hours. Bensalem’s two teams have rendered aid with one tour during Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana, and two tours during Hurricane Gustav in 2008 also in Louisiana.
Our organization was also the principal agency that helped to establish four first responder engine companies in the Township. Bensalem EMS also facilitated the placement of Automatic External Defibrillators in police cars throughout our community.
Bensalem EMS is a non-profit organization and all donations are tax deductible. If you wish to make a small donation to help us continue our mission, please send it to us at: